How to send unique codes to new Mailchimp subscribers
You can configure Coupon Carrier to monitor your email list for new subscribers, and when one is added, a unique code is applied to the specified merge field on the subscriber. The merge field is then included in the Mailchimp email to display the code in the same way you would include other subscriber data such as their first name.
In most cases, you would a Customer Journey, with a custom trigger, that contains the email that the subscriber should receive. This Journey would be triggered to start by Coupon Carrier immediately after the code has been applied to the subscriber. Below is a sequence diagram that shows what happens when a subscriber is added to your email list.
Here are the steps needed to get started:
- Create a Code List where your unique codes are stored or generated
- Create a Code Email configuration that triggers when a new Mailchimp subscriber is added
- Create a Mailchimp Customer Journey with a custom trigger that Coupon Carrier can use, and the email that the subscriber should receive
- Configure the Code Email to use your Code List as the code source
- Activate and test the integration
Create a Code List for your unique codes
Under the Code List tab, choose to Create a new Code List. In this example, we'll create a manual code list where we can import our own set of codes. You can also create autogenerated code lists that connect to support platforms lite Shopify and Woocommerce, they will create the codes automatically in your store when needed.
Create a Code Email configuration
Create a new Code Email configuration by clicking Create a New Configuration on the configurations tab. Choose to trigger on an App Event Trigger and select the Mailchimp integration followed by connecting to your account or selecting an existing connection. Once connected, you can choose which email list you'd like to monitor for new subscribers.
- Next, we want to send out our email from Mailchimp so we'll choose to use Mailchimp as the sender. In order to display a code in our welcome email, we need to tell Coupon Carrier which list field it should store the code in. We recommend creating a new field called "Coupon". You can use the Create a new field option to quickly create a new field.
- It's time to switch over to Mailchimp where we'll create our Customer Journey. It's important the Journey uses the correct trigger named Customer Journeys API. Once created, we'll switch back to Coupon Carrier to finish the setup. Continue to the next section to see how to create the Journey with the correct settings.
Create a Customer Journey in Mailchimp
From the Automations section, select Customer Journeys and click Create Journey. Give it a name and select the email list that you'll use. As a starting point, go to the API & Integrations section and choose Customer Journeys API. This trigger allows Coupon Carrier to tell Mailchimp when this automation should start for a specific subscriber.
Next, add a new Journey Point and choose the Send Email action. Open the designer by creating a new or using an existing template.
In the email designer, add the merge tag where you want to include the unique code. Using the "Merge Tags" dropdown, you can choose the Coupon field that we created earlier.
- Before we switch back to Coupon Carrier, click the starting trigger and copy the endpoint URL. We need to enter this in Coupon Carrier so that it can trigger the Journey. Once the URL is copied, start the automation by clicking Continue in the top right corner, and then proceed to Turn on the Journey.
- Then we'll head back to Coupon Carrier where you select to Trigger a Customer Journey API Step and then paste the URL we copied from the journey trigger.
Select your Code List as the code source
The final step is to select which code list you'd like to use as a source for your codes. You can either import your own codes into a code list or use an autogenerated code list (currently Shopify and Woocommerce). If you created a code list as shown earlier, you can choose to pick an existing code list and select the list from the dropdown.
Activate and test the integration
Before you can test the integration. Save your configuration and make sure it's activated. Once activated, your email list will be monitored for new subscribers.
In Mailchimp, open your email list and add a new subscriber to your list. Shortly after, you should receive the welcome email with the unique code. Note that in some cases, Mailchimp can have slightly longer delays until their automated email is sent, we've seen delays for up to an hour in some cases. If there are any issues you should be able to see the error in Coupon Carrier under rejected requests for your configuration. Contact us if you have any issues or questions.